www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Mother`s Club Jubilee WindowPrint Page Print this page

19-March-2021
19-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The window commemorates the jubilee of the Westminster School in 2011. It was funded with donations from the Mothers Club, the Boarders Parents` Association and private individuals. 

Westminster School was born out of a perceived need by the Methodist Church in South Australia for a day and boarding school in Adelaide to accommodate demand additional to that satisfied by the long-established Methodist-based school  Prince Alfred College. 

Planning for Westminster began with a meeting on 7 June 1957, although at that stage it was not known where or when the school would be built, or indeed what it would be named. With growing momentum, it was resolved in December of that year to purchase twenty-five acres of vineyards from the South Australia Housing Trust at Marion. At the inaugural fundraising dinner on 9 June 1959, 160 men volunteered to solicit 3000 prospective contributors to achieve a target of $200,000 for the first building phase. The amount ultimately raised by those who have been affectionately called "the Men of Westminster" was $320,000.

The school commenced on 7 February 1961. At the first assembly, broadcast on radio station 5KA, the Headmaster's opening address began with the words, "Let the life of the school begin". The foundation Headmaster, Douglas Forder, presided over an initial enrolment of 143 students with a staff of seven.

Location

Address:Minchinbury Terrace, Westminster School, Chapel, Marion, 5043
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.001785
Long: 138.55221
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Education
Approx. Event Start Date:1961
Approx. Event End Date:2011
Designer:Jan & Brenton Worrell (Adelaide, SA)
Artist:Jan & Brenton Worrell (Adelaide, SA)
Monument Manufacturer:Jan & Brenton Worrell (Adelaide, SA)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 12th February, 2011
Front Inscription

Mother`s Club Jubilee Window

This window was designed, construct and installed by Jan and Brenton Worrell of Adelaide Leadlight Centre to commemorate the Jubilee Year 2011

Made possible by the generous donations of

Mother`s Club
Boarder Parents` Association
Russell and Michelle Ellis
Anne-Marie Hudson

Dedicated 12 February 2011

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design