65th Year of Pooraka Primary SchoolPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates 65th year of the Pooraka Primary School.

Pooraka Primary School was formerly known as the Abattoirs School. It was opened on the 14th April 1914 to service the families of the Gepps Cross Abattoirs workers and families in the surrounding community. The school opened with a two room building which now houses the Performing Arts and O.S.H.C programs. The two rooms were later expanded in the 1920s to include another classroom for an infant school. The school grounds also included a Head teacher’s house, which was built at the same time as the school. This later became a community centre before it was demolished in the 1990s to make way for the new school hall and car park.

The Abattoirs School became Pooraka Primary School in 1941. The current main building was completed in 1965 and housed 700 students who previously studied in transportable classrooms.


Address:11 South Terrace, Pooraka Primary School, Pooraka, 5095
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.833219
Long: 138.613624
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:14-April-1914
Actual Event End Date:14-April-1979


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 21st April, 1979
Front Inscription

This plaque commemorating the 65th year of the Pooraka (formerly Abattoirs) Primary School was unveiled by Mr. Ron White J. P. Mayor of the City of Salisbury on 21st April 1979

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au