www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of the Ryde Public SchoolPrint Page Print this page

26-May-2019
26-May-2019

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the Ryde Public Schhol which was opened in 1868.

The Public school at Ryde was opened on the 6th instant, in presence of the Local Board, about 60 children being present on the first day.  Since that time the numbers show a steady increase -the number this week being 106.  Mr. Herbert Farr is the appointed master, and Miss Thornton teacher for the infant school, there are no pupil teachers appointed at present. No demonstration of any kind took place at the opening. It is intended after the schools have been opened for a time, the teacher`s residence finished and everything in good working order, to invite the Hon H. Parkes up to Ryde to meet the Local Board at the school. 
The Sydney Morning Herald (Sydney), 31 July 1868.  

Location

Address:Pope & Tucker Streets, Ryde Public School, Ryde, 2112
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.811749
Long: 151.108142
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Education
Actual Event Start Date:06-July-1868
Actual Event End Date:06-July-1968

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 20th July, 1968
Front Inscription

       His Excellency
The Governor Of New South Wales
Sir Roden Cutler, V.C., K.C.M.G., C.B.E.,
Unveiled This Plaque To Commemorate
  The Centenary Of The
RYDE PUBLIC SCHOOL
  On 20th July 1968
Hon. C. B. Cutler, E.D., M.L.A.
Deputy Premier And Minister For Education

J. A. Clough, M.L.A.
Member For Eastwood
M. S. Wyndham, C.B.E., M.A., E.D.D. 
Director-General Of Education

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design