www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Gordon Public SchoolPrint Page Print this page

06-February-2019
06-February-2019

Photographs supplied by Peter Williams
The plaque commemorates the centenary of the Gordon Public School from 1871 to 1971. Between 1871 and 1885 the school was known as the Lane Cove School.

In 1988 an additional plaque, giving details of the school, was added as a bicentennial project.

Location

Address:799 Pacific Highway, Gordon Library, former school building, Gordon, 2072
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.753724
Long: 151.151974
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Education
Approx. Event Start Date:1871
Approx. Event End Date:1971

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1971
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Centenary 

1871 - 1971

The Hon. A. H. Jago M.L.A. Minister for Health officially unveiled this plaque to commemorate the centenary of public education at Gordon Public School

The Hon. C. B. Butler ED, MLA  Deputy Premier and Minister for Education and Science
D. J. A. VERCO MA, Dip Ed       Director-General of Education
G. Bell                                         Principal

Plaque : 

Australia
1788-1988

Gordon Public School

Gordon Public School, formerly known as Lane Cove Public School was built in 1876 following the establishment of earlier church and private schools. 

It is the oldest school building in Ku-Ring-Gai. 

This plaque has been erected as a Bicentennial Project funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Ku -ring-gai Municipal Council 1988


 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design