Centenary of The Armidale SchoolPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The Portico Light commemorates the centenary of The Armidale School from 1894 to 1994.

The Armidale School (abbreviated as TAS) is an independent Anglican co- educational early lesrning, primary and secondary day and boarding school located in Armidale, on the New England Tablelands of northern New South Wales, Australia.  Administration of the schools is formalised as a company limited by guarantee that operates under the Corporations Act.

Founded in 1894 as the New England Proprietary School, its name was changed to The Armidale School in 1896. A year later TAS, as it is now widely known, joined the Association of Great Public Schools of New South Wales and today is the only non-metropolitan member.


Address:87 Douglas Street, Chapel,The Armidale School, Armidale, 2350
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.520192
Long: 151.672393
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Technology
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1894
Approx. Event End Date:1994


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1994
Front Inscription

Portico Light

To commemorate the School`s centenary

1894 - 1994

A gift from the Ancillary Staff on 1994


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au