www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Brisbane High School for Girls (Somerville House) Print Page Print this page

25-February-2015
25-February-2015
Photographs supplied by John Huth
The plaque commemorates the centenary of the Brisbane High School for Girls (Somerville House) from 1899 to 1999. The school originally occupied the basement of the Baptist City Tabernacle. 

In 1899 Miss Eliza Fewings founded a school designed to educate young women and equip them to take a leading role in the creation of an emerging nation. The School began as The Brisbane High School for Girls and its first home was the City Tabernacle, on the corner of Wickham Terrace and Edward Street. In 1912, the School moved to ‘Erneton’ in Wickham Terrace, a gracious old home that could accommodate both day students and boarders. 

In 1918 ownership of the School was transferred to the newly formed Presbyterian and Methodist Schools Association (PMSA) and in 1919 Cumbooquepa, South Brisbane was chosen as the ideal location for the School. It wasn’t until 1920 that the School became known as Somerville House, named to honour Mary Somerville, a distinguished Scottish scientist, mathematician and scholar.

Location

Address:163 Wickham Terrace, Baptist City Tabernacle, Spring Hill, 4000
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.464859
Long: 153.024714
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Education
Actual Event Start Date:05-October-1899
Actual Event End Date:05-October-1999

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 3rd February, 1999
Front Inscription

The Brisbane High School for Girls (Somerville House) was founded by Miss Eliza Fewing on 5th October 1899.

This building was its original home. 
1899 - 1912.

Erected on 3 February 1999 to commemorate the centenary

Source: MA, QHR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design