100 Years of Friendship at Glennie SchoolPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The stained glass window commemorates 100 years of friendship created at the Glennie Memorial School. The window was unveiled during the school`s centenary year. 

Although the original plans were to establish both a school for boys and a school for girls, funds were harder to raise than expected due to the drought on the Darling Downs. In June 1907, the Anglican Church decided to proceed with the establishment of a girls' school because there was an £800 bequest which would lapse if construction did not commence by end of 1907. The choice of a school for girls was made because the church felt this was the area of greatest need as there were a number of secondary schools for boys already available. The initial plan was to hire a house to commence the school while the school building already designed by Toowoomba architect Harry Marks was constructed.

The school was founded in 1908 on its present site as the Glennie Memorial School. The first school building was dedicated on 10 August 1910. 


Address:246a Herries Street, Glennie Middle and Senior School, School Chapel, Newtown, 4350
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.562433
Long: 151.936054
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1908
Approx. Event End Date:2008


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 10th August, 2008
Front Inscription

The spirit of friendship binds us together


Centenary Window 2 

`Celebrating 100 years of friendship` 

Donated by Glennie Old Girls

10 August 2008

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au