125th Anniversary of Ballarat School of MinesPrint Page Print this page

Plaque Inscription : 20-April-2015
Plaque Inscription : 20-April-2015
Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The plaque commemorates the planting of a tree commemorating the 125th Anniversary of the Ballarat School of Mines. The former school is now the site of the Federation University - SMB Campus. 

The School of Mines was founded in Ballarat in 1870 by a group of officials from the Mining Board, to provide scientific and practical training focused on, but not exclusively related to, mining. As its reputation in science, engineering, metallurgy, chemistry and geology increased, the School of Mines diversified into a programme of general studies.

Mr James M. Bickett had the honor of bringing forward the proposition to found a School of Mines at a meeting of the Ballarat Mining Board in October, 1869. It was agreed to, and the Government, having been approached for assistance, granted a lease of the old Supreme Court buildings at a nominal rental. A modest sum, including 100 pounds from the Borough Council of Ballarat West, was subscribed by a number of sympathisers, and on the 26th October, 1870, the inaugural address was delivered by Sir Redmond Barry , the first President of the School. Classes were commenced on the 23rd January, 1871.


Address:107 Lydiard Street South , Federation University - SMB Campus, Ballarat , 3350
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.565493
Long: 143.857106
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1870
Approx. Event End Date:1995


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 27th October, 1995
Front Inscription

This tree was planted by Chief Commissioner Vern Robson City of Ballarat on 27th October 1995

To commemorate the 125th anniversary of the School of Mines and Industries Ballarat

Dr R A Wild  Director
W J Gribble  President

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au