Normal SchoolPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The plaque commemorates the Normal School which stood on this site from 1862 to 1927.

Queensland was declared a separate colony from New South Wales on 10 December 1859 and in the following year the Queensland Parliament faced the task of providing an education system for the new colony. 

In 1862 a new building, designated the Normal School was erected within the grounds of the Brisbane Boys and Brisbane Girls Primary Schools, and thereafter those schools were usually referred to as the Brisbane Normal Boys and the Brisbane Normal Girls Primary Schools. The most important function of the Normal School was that of a training centre where pupil-teachers could see the best and most efficient teaching methods in operation.


Address:261-263 Edward Street, Brisbane, 4000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.467288
Long: 153.025918
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1862
Approx. Event End Date:1927


Front Inscription

These three stones formed part of the Normal School which stood on this site from 1862 to 1927 and are incorporated in this building to perpetuate the memory of the school that played so important a part in the history of education in Queensland.

The first Head Master was John Rendall, who served here from 1862 to 1873.  

He was succeeded by James Semple Kerr, whose association with the School lasted for a period of thirty two years (1874 to 1906).

"Est genius loci"

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au