Lawson Park Entrance TabletsPrint Page Print this page

17-February-2011 (Glen Yeomans)
17-February-2011 (Glen Yeomans)

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Russell Byers

The tablets erected at the entrance to the park are in appreciation of those who assisted in the improvement of the park and the erection of the wall and fence in 1932 and 1933.

The official opening of the Lawson Park fence took place at 7.15 on Saturday evening before a very large crowd. Eulogistic references were made by speakers to the sterling work done by Mr E. A. Bartlett. Mr J. E. Loneragan. Mr W. J. Carmichael, Mr H. A. Lawson and many others in connection with the construction of the park, its fence and its entrance. The crowd showed its enthusiasm by applauding wholeheartedly whenever mention was made of the efforts of these gentlemen, and the ceremony, though short, will always be remembered as one of the most impressive ever witnessed by the citizens of Mudgee.

The Mayor continued that the entrance would stand as a monument to the skill and foresight of Mr Lawson, Mr Loneragan and Mr Carmichael, who were the first men to have the vision to see Lawson Park as the beauty spot of the State. (Applause). He announced that a long list of the names of the helpers would be placed inside a metal cylinder, the whole to be inserted in the pillar behind the tablet. Ald. Bartlett then placed the cylinder inside the pillar, set the tablet, and declared it well and truly laid. Cheers were asked for and lustily given. Mr W. J. Carmichael then unveiled the tablet on the left side of the entrance, dedicated to all those who helped in the construction of the park, stating that he was proud of the honor of doing this, and three cheers were again given by the audience. 
Excerpt from Lawson Park Entrance Official Opening, 
Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW),
10 October 1932. 



Address:Church & Short Streets, Lawson Park, Mudgee, 2850
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.589744
Long: 149.589006
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 8th October, 1932
Left Side Inscription

Plaque :

This tablet is erected in appreciation of the efforts of all who assisted in the improvements to this Park.

Plaque :

Lawson Park Wall

- Built 1933 -

Mayor E.A. Bartlett 1928 - 1934

This Wall was built by virtue of a Government Grant and voluntary labour gangs.

The stone was brought from the Mt Frome Quarries by local farmers using their Clydesdales - and wagons .-

Right Side Inscription

Plaque :

This tablet was laid by E. A. Bartlett - Mayor - 

8th October 1932

To commemorate the erection of this fence commenced 27th May 1932

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design