Koo Wee Rup Hall SitePrint Page Print this page

A plaque commemorates the site of the former Hall which was renamed the Memorial Hall in honour of those who served in World War One. The Hall was demolished in 2002. 

The Koo-Wee-Rup hall was of weather board and it was extended in 1919.  The brick front and other rooms were added in 1923-24 and it was renamed the Memorial Hall to honour the First World War soldiers. The Returned Sailors and Soldiers Imperial League of Australia paid £300 to help fund these additions and had a lease on the Hall at the rental of one peppercorn per annum.  The Hall was used for various entertainments.


Address:Rossiter Road, Koo Wee Rup, 3981
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.19844
Long: 145.492653
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:September-2003
Front Inscription
The plaque commemorates the site of the original Koo-Wee- Rup
Public Hall, built of timber with a tin rook and opened in 1902. 

In October 1912 the Public Hall became the Mechanics Institute.

A brick fronted extension comprising a foyer and two rooms was
added in 1923 and at a later date it was renamed the Memorial Hall. 

In 1925 it was leased by the RSSILA (subsequently the RSL). 

Following years of disuse it was pulled down in 2002,
in its centenary year. 

Koo-Wee-Rup Swamp Historical Society Inc. September 2003. 
Source: RSLV,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au