Andrew Lysaght Park Memorial WallPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Russell Byers

The Andrew Lysaght Park Memorial Wall contains the names of 314 people known or believed to be buried on the site which was the former Roman Catholic Cemetery.  

Among the names are some of the first residents of Wollongong including Jane Rose, who arrived with the First Fleet in 1788, and Andrew Lysaght, the former mayor and parliamentarian who died in 1906 after whom the park is now named.

Ten surviving headstones have been mounted on the wall and the substantial Lysaght monument, which is seen in both old and modern views of the site above, has been re-erected in front of the wall.

The monument space is created by the use of perforated curved steel walls as a wind sculpture. The sculpture shields the site from prevailing winds and forms an edge to the ramped connection between the raised terrace and the plaza. The perforated walls are made from fabricated Bisalloy steel panels donated to the project from BHP Port Kembla Steel works. The southernmost wall is engraved with the names and ages of those persons recorded in the Burial register. The eleven remaining headstones are also mounted within this wall. These artworks were designed by Richard Goodwin. 



Address:Crown Street, Andrew Lysaght Park , Wollongong, 2500
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.427246
Long: 150.903461
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Designer:Richard Goodwin (artworks)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 4th December, 2008
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au