Bay to Birdwood RunPrint Page Print this page

25-May-2021 (Stephen Warren)
25-May-2021 (Stephen Warren)

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren / Bryan Cole

The plaque marks the starting point of the Bay to Birdwood Run.

The Bay to Birdwood is a vehicle run held annually, in which historic motorcars, motorcycles, and commercial vehicles travel a 60 kilometre route from Glenelg to the National Motor Museum in the town of Birdwood. 

The Bay to Birdwood Run was first held in 1980 when the Federation of Historic Motoring Clubs, SAS Channel Ten, and the National Motor Museum were invited to develop an event commemorating the issuing of the first South Australian driver’s licence in 1906 to Dr William A. Hargreaves.  The original agreed concept was a biennial run for pre-1950 vehicles from Glenelg (fondly known as “the Bay”) to the National Motor Museum in Birdwood.

By 1990 the Run had established itself as Australia’s premier historic motoring event and had earned Australia wide recognition by winning the National Tourism Award as the best special event or festival staged in Australia.



Address:ANZAC Highway, Wigley Reserve, Glenelg, 5045
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.976492
Long: 138.513087
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1980


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 28th September, 1986
Front Inscription

South Australia Jubilee 150

Bay to Birdwood Run

Australia`s premiere historic motoring event

This plaque was unveiled by the Right Honourable John Bannon M. P. Premier of South Australia in Sunday September 28, 1986 and marks the starting point of this biennial run inaugurated in 1980

Distance : 60 km. 

No. of entries : 1809




Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au