Jubilee of Central York Peninsula Agricultural SocietyPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Denis Binnion

The hall commemorates the Jubilee of Central York Peninsula Agricultural Society from 1878 to 1928.

The Jubilee celebrations in connection with the Central Yorke Peninsula Agricultural Society proved highly successful. Ordinarily the society confines its activities to a one-day show, but to mark the jubilee a programme was arranged for four days, starting on Wednesday last. A "Back to Minlaton and District" week was also organised, and many former residents visited the town. The first day's programme consisted of the usual annual proceedings, which included many attractive ring events.

Entries in the trotting contests exceeded any previous record. The Hon. B. W. Foster declared the new wing and cloakrooms open, and congratulated the secretary and committee on the excellence of the show. The officials were: —President, Mr. Joseph Williams; executive committee, Messrs. P. Tonkin, G. Lovelock, L. K. Brown, E. F. Mahar, J. J. Parsons, R. G. Newbold, H. Mumford, E. E. M. Twartz, C. H. Boundy, J. Boundy, E. B. Crocker, V. B. Roberts, J. McKenzie, J. E. Martin, R. J. Newbold, J. L. Ford, S. P. King, S. W. Pointon, C. Button, A. H. Longbottom, and F. Kirby; auditors, Messrs. G. P. Seddon and A. G. Burns; secretary and treasurer, Mr. D. M. S. Davies. 
Excerpt from Chronicle (Adelaide), 3 November 1928.


Address:West Terrace, Minlaton Showground, Minlaton, 5575
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.768472
Long: 137.592083
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1878
Approx. Event End Date:1928


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1928
Front Inscription


C. Y. P. A. S.  Jubilee.


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au