www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Gifting of Johnston Memorial ParkPrint Page Print this page

15-March-2021
15-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the gifting of the land by J. and A. G. Johnston Limited of Oakbank to the District Council of Onkaparinga in October 1936. The land was given as gesture during South Australia`s centenary year. 

In connection with the Centenary effort to be made at Balhannah, a well attended public meeting was held in the Soldiers' Memorial Hall on Tuesday, May 26, with Councillor H. A. Spoehr in the chair, to consider matters in connection with the Balhannah recreation ground. This ground has been used for a great number of years as a sports ground and as a Centenary gesture Messrs. J. and A. G. Johnston, Ltd., who own the land, which comprises about 10 acres, under certain conditions, offered to give the land to the town for a permanent sports ground.

The secretary of the Centenary committee, Mr. W. Hampel, made a report to the meeting relating to the deed of gift from Johnston's, Ltd., and after a discussion, a motion was carried unanimously that the gift be accepted on the terms laid down in the deed, and that name of the ground be the Johnston Memorial Park. It was then decided to form an association for the purpose of carrying the deed into effect. The membership fee was fixed at 2/6 per annum, all members to be over 16 years of age, and each member to have only one vote, even if he had paid a donation of £5.

The present Centenary committee will carry on until the first election, which will be conducted on district council lines, takes place about the end of June. At the close of the meeting, about 10 p.m., a number of those present enrolled as members of the association. It is the intention of the committee to start work as soon as possible, on a plan to beautify the ground, by planting trees and shrubs, many of which have already been promised.
Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser (SA), 4 June 1936.

 

Location

Address:Onkaparinga Valley Road, Johnston Memorial Park, Balhannah, 5242
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.989661
Long: 138.829024
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Actual Event Start Date:
Actual Event End Date:

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 6th October, 1936
Front Inscription

Johnston Memorial Park

This plaque commemorates the gifting of this property by J & A G Johnston Ltd, Oakbank to the former District Council of Onkaparinga* on 6 October 1936, as part of the State`s Centenary celebration.

The property was donated for the benefit of the inhabitants of the township and District of Balhannah, its neighbourhood and its visitors, to be used permanently as a public recreation ground for all.

( * know as Adelaide Hills Council since the 1997 council amalgamation )

 

 

Right Side Inscription

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design