www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of the Mitchell BuildingPrint Page Print this page

28-December-2020
28-December-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque commemorates the centenary of the Mitchell Building from 1879 to 1979.

In February 1877 the University Council announced South Australian architect James McGeorge as the winner of a competition to design the university's first building. However, his submission proved highly contentious. The council then approached the second prize winner, Michael Egan of Melbourne. Egan completed a design and working drawings but the council decided that it was too costly. William McMinn of Woods & McMinn architects, who acted as advisory architects to the university, was asked to review and amend the design. Despite Egan’s objections, McMinn’s amendments were accepted. He was given credit for the final design, even though it was similar to Egan’s.

The marble foundation stone of the ‘University Building’ was laid by Governor Sir William Jervois on 30 July 1879. University Building was officially opened by Governor Jervois on 5 April 1882.

University Building was renamed the Mitchell Building in 1961 in recognition of the centenary of the birth of Sir William Mitchell, the Hughes Professor of Philosophy (and other subjects), who served on the University Council (1896-1948) and was the university's Vice-Chancellor (1916 - 42) and Chancellor (1942 - 48).

Location

Address:Wills Court, University of Adelaide, Mitchell Building, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.920822
Long: 138.604327
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Actual Event Start Date:30-July-1879
Actual Event End Date:30-July-1979

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 30th July, 1979
Front Inscription
The centenary of the Mitchell Building was commemorated by the unveiling of this plaque by His Excellency the
Governor, Mr Keith Seaman, O B E, K St J on 30 July, 1979
Left Side Inscription
Governor Sir W. F. D. Jervois G. C. M. G., C. B., laid this stone on the thirtieth day of July 1879.
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design