www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of the Singleton Town BandPrint Page Print this page

11-November-2014
11-November-2014

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers
The Commemorative Music Shell commemorates the centenary of the Singleton Town Band (1878-1978).

The present Singleton Town Band was formed after a meeting of towns people called by Mr H.W. Robinson on 11th September 1878. Records show that on 13th November there was a membership of 16 players under Mr John Singleton as Bandmaster. Mr Singleton was the grandson of the founder of the town. He apparently was a born musician being a fine exponent of the cornet, clarinet, violin and piano and at this time was reported as being one of the most brilliant cornet players in the colony. In 1883 Mr George Taylor was appointed as Bandmaster after Mr Singleton departed to further his career as a professional musician. Mr Taylor fulfilled his duties as Bandmaster until 1892. 

Location

Address:Hunter & Bourke Streets, Burdekin Park, Singleton, 2330
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.564007
Long: 151.175394
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Approx. Event Start Date:1878
Approx. Event End Date:1978

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 18th January, 1979
Left Side Inscription

SINGLETON TOWN BAND
      CENTENARY
    1878 - 1978

This Commemorative Music Shell
Was Officially Opened By 
Mr. G. J. Tredinnick  
      Chairman 
 Joint Coal Board
     18 - 1 - 79

N. Grace       President
A. C. Tisdell  Bandmaster

Right Side Inscription

SINGLETON TOWN BAND
CENTENARY MUSIC SHELL

       Promoted By 
Centenary Citizens Committee
By Generous Contributions
Joint Coal Board, Citizens, Industry, 
Commerce, Local Organisations, 
     Clubs & Town Band 
Officially Opened 18 - 11 - 78 

C. M. Bourke, O.B.E.  President
C. S. Ball                     Hon. Sec

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design