130th Anniversary of Spring Creek Mechanics InstitutePrint Page Print this page

The Mechanics Institute plaque commemorates 130 years of the Spring Creek Mechanics Institute and Public Library.

The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999. Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.



Address:655 Spring Creek Road, Fawcett Hall , Fawcett, 3714
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.110488
Long: 145.702452
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 24th November, 2012
Front Inscription

Mechanics Institute Victoria 
Spring Creek Mechanics Institute and Public Library (name changed to Fawcett circa. 1908).  On this site from 1882. 

The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.

The original building was opened 8 September 1882. Committee: Messrs. Hall, (illegible) Coster, Palmateer, Purcell & Morrison. From 1901 to 1906 it served as Fawcett State School No. 3393.

Current building, the Fawcett Hall & Public Library, was opened 5 August 1908 by Thomas Hunt M.L.A. Architect: Francis Palmateer. Builder: George William Gilbert. Painter: G. Lea. Restored and Re-opened 28 May 2011.
Plaque donated 2012 by:  S. Hicks - President; D. I. Newman - Secretary.

This plaque, No. 32 in the MIV series, was unveiled on November 24, 2012 to mark the 130th anniversary of this Institute.

Source: MVIC
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design