125th Anniversary of United Grand Lodge of New South WalesPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The plaque commemorates the 125th anniversary of the United Grand Lodge of New South Wales which had its first meeting in 1888.

The first Grand Lodge was opened in Sydney in 1845, Brother Robert Barr being the first Grand Master, and Brother Andrew Alexander, the Deputy Grand Master Brother Alexander was the Grand Master the following year. The institution grew and prospered; No.2 Lodge was opened in 1845, No.3, No.4, and No.5 (in Kiama on the New South Wales South Coast) in 1846, No.6 and No.8 in 1847, No.7 in 1850.

The Grand Lodge of Ireland and the Grand Lodge of Scotland were also warranting lodges in New South Wales, and creating their own provincial Grand Lodges.

On 16 August 1888, after considerable consultation, the Masters and Wardens of the one hundred and eighty-three lodges assembled, the articles of union were again adopted, and the " United Grand Lodge of New South Wales " declared to be duly constituted and established. The first Grand Master was Lord Carrington, Governor of New South Wales.


Address:Castlereagh & Goulburn Streets, Sydney Masonic Centre, Sydney, 2000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.878099
Long: 151.20838
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:16-August-1888
Actual Event End Date:16-August-2013


Front Inscription
This plaque was unveiled by 
Governor of New South Wales 
In the presence of MW Bro. Derek Robson AM, Grand Master
16th August 2013
To commemorate the 

125th Anniversary 
of the foundation meeting held 16th August, 1888
to form the United Grand Lodge of NSW (later NSW and ACT)

RW Bro. Chris Craven PDGM           RW Bro. Kevin McGlinn PDGM
Director, Museum of Freemasonry    Grand Secretary

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design