www.monumentaustralia.org.au

2nd / 4th Australian Independent Company & 2nd / 4th Commando SquadronPrint Page Print this page

24-October-2014
24-October-2014
Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The plaque commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action while serving with the 2nd / 4th  Commando Squadron during World War Two.

The 2nd / 4th Commando Squadron was one of 12 independent companies and commando squadrons raised by the Australian Army during World War Two.

The 2nd / 4th was deployed to Portuguese Timor to reinforce the other Australian units already waging a guerilla war on the island. After a brief campaign the Company was returned to Australia and from there it went on to serve in New Guinea in 1943, taking part in the Salamaua-Lae campaign attached to the 9th Division. Later, the squadron was involved in one of the last campaigns of the war when it landed on Tarakan Island in May 1945 and took part in the Borneo campaign (1945).

Location

Address:Kennedy Highway, Rocky Creek Memorial Park, Rocky Creek, 4882
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -17.182329
Long: 145.454925
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2010
Front Inscription

1939   1945
2 / 4 Australian Independent Company 
2 / 4 Australian Commando Squadron

Training Grounds
Wilsons Promontory  Canungra   Atherton Tableland

Served
Northern Territory  Timor  New Guinea  Tarakan

Dedicated to the memory of our members who paid the supreme sacrifice

"Lest We Forget"
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design