www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Burnside Homes Honour RollPrint Page Print this page

The plaque commemorates those from Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes who served in World War Two and lists the names of the fallen. The plaque is located on a plinth in a semi-circular garden which was designed by Mr. Cobden Parkes, Government architect and the son of Sir Henry Parkes.

BURNSIDE HOMES. Today at 3 p.m. the Governor, Lieutenant General Northcott, will unveil a roll of honour for old boys of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes, Parramatta, who were killed in the last war. 
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 7 June 1947.


Note: Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes, on Pennant Hills Road at North Parramatta, were children's homes founded in 1911 by philanthropist Sir James Burns. Burnside pioneered cottage care in Australia and was a functioning village, with 14 cottages, all grand in scale, its own farm, hospital and school, and a gymnasium and swimming pool. In 1955 Burnside changed its name to Burnside Presbyterian Homes for Children, as the word 'orphan' was stigmatising and misleading.

Location

Address:2 Masons Drive, Burnside School, North Parramatta, 2151
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.793333
Long: 151.018056
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Link:http://www.warmemorialsregister.nsw…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 7th June, 1947
Front Inscription

OUR TRIBUTE TO THE FORMER GIRLS AND
BOYS OF BURNSIDE WHO SERVED THEIR
KING AND COUNTRY DURING WORLD WAR II. 

THE FOLLOWING GAVE THEIR LIVES 

(NAMES)

Source: MA,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design