www.monumentaustralia.org.au

81 Fighter WingPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2016
02-April-2016

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the 81 Fighter Wing during World War Two. The plaque location is indicated by a red poppy in the second image. 

Formed in April 1944, No. 81 Wing comprised three flying units, Nos, 76, 77 and 82 Squadrons, operating P-40 Kittyhawk fighters in the South West Pacific theatre of World War Two. Following the end of hostilities, the wing converted to P-51 Mustangs and was based in Japan as part of the Allied occupational forces; it disbanded there in November 1948.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Captain Reg Saunders Courtyard, Australian War Memorial, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.280651
Long: 149.148242
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st April, 2000
Front Inscription

81 FIGHTER WING

Formed at Ballarat, Victoria, On 12 April, 1944
Disbanded At Iwakuni, Japan, On 1 November, 1948

To Commemorate All Who Served In 81 Fighter Wing,
  In Particular The Ground Staff,
Whose Untiring Efforts In Servicing And Maintaining
Our Aircraft, Often Under Difficult Conditions,
In The South West Pacific Area And Borneo
And As The R.A.A.F. Component Of The
British Commonwealth Occupation Forces
During The Occupation Of Japan, Will Always Be Remembered.

LEST WE FORGET

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design