www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Australian Army Medical Women`s ServicesPrint Page Print this page

Ex Aust Army Womens Medical Service Plaque
Ex Aust Army Womens Medical Service Plaque
Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / John Huth

The plaque commemorates the women who served in the Voluntary Aid Detachments and Australian Army Medical Women`s Service during World War Two up until 1951.

The Australian Army Medical Women's Service (AAMWS) was an armed services organisation which existed from 1942 until 1951. Growing out of the St Johns Ambulance Voluntary Aid Detachments, it was formed in December 1942 and its members served as nurses in military hospitals in the Middle East, Australia and, with the British Commonwealth Occupation Force in Japan. In 1951, the AAMWS was merged into the Royal Australian Army Nursing Corps.

Location

Address:Ann Street, ANZAC Square, Shrine of Remembrance Crypt, Brisbane, 4000
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.466428
Long: 153.026428
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Link:http://www.qldwarmemorials.com.au

Dedication

Front Inscription

Ex A.A.M.W.S Association of Queensland

To honour the memory of all women of the Voluntary Aid Detachments and Australian Army Medical Womens Service who served with Australian Forces at home and abroad during World War II until 1951

The tasks were many & willingly performed

Source: SKP, QWMR, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design