www.monumentaustralia.org.au

19th Machine Gun BattalionPrint Page Print this page

May-2007
May-2007

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The plaque commemorates those who served with the 19th Machine Gun Battalion during World War Two.

The 19 Machine Gun Battalion was raised as a Militia Unit in the Wimmera District of Victoria during 1940. Headquarters was based at Horsham. They were transported overland from Colac in early January 1942 to Winnellie. By the end of January 1942, the Unit was located in fixed coastal defence positions between Howard River and Mickett Creek. In April 1942, there were detachments stationed at the RAAF Aerodrome, 30 Mile Post, 51 Mile Post and 66 Mile Post. In September 1943, their name was changed to 19 Machine Gun Battalion. At that time they were reinforced by the addition of a company from 48 Battalion from South Australia. In April 1944, they were transferred to Watsonia Army Camp in Melbourne and disbanded in August 1944.

Location

Address:Esplanade, Bicentennial Park, adjacent to Cenotaph, Darwin, 0800
State:NT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -12.466796
Long: 130.839966
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Approx. Event Start Date:January-1942
Approx. Event End Date:April-1944

Dedication

Front Inscription

       DEDICATION 
To The Memory Of The Members
19th (Aust) Machine Gun Battalion. 
      (23rd Brigade)
      Who Served 
      World War II
Darwin Operational Area N. T. 
January 1942 -- April 1944

Lest We Forget
 

Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design