www.monumentaustralia.org.au

19th Australian Heavy Anti Aircraft BatteryPrint Page Print this page

20-July-2014
20-July-2014

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The plaque commemorates those who served with 19th Australian Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery during World War Two.

The Battery was raised in Sydney but also received a contingent of 240 personnel from the Riverina region. In late 1942, they moved to Darwin via Adelaide and Alice Springs. They replaced the 14 Heavy Anti aircraft Battery at the Oval, Fannie Bay and McMillan's Road and supplied crews for the bofors guns at Fort Hill, Stokes Hill and Cavanagh St. The Unit moved south in December 1944 and was disbanded.

Location

Address:Esplanade, Bicentennial Park, adjacent to Cenotaph, Darwin, 0800
State:NT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -12.466667
Long: 130.84
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Approx. Event Start Date:February-1943
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945
Approx. Event End Date:December-1944

Dedication

Front Inscription

Erected To Commemorate The Service Of The 
19th Australian Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery
In The Darwin area
From February 1943 To December 1944 At ,
Fannie Bay, McMillans, The Oval.
Donated By Ex-Members Of The 19th Anti Aircraft Battery

Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design