www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Australian Women`s Army ServicePrint Page Print this page

The plaque commemorates the service of the 24,028 members of the Australian Women's Army Service who volunteered and enlisted in the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces during World War Two.

The Australian Women's Army Service (AWAS) was a non-medical women's service established in Australia during the Second World War. Raised on 13 August 1941 to "release men from certain military duties for employment in fighting units"[1] the service grew to over 20,000-strong and provided personnel to fill various roles including administration, driving, catering, signals and intelligence. Following the end of the Second World War, the service was demobilised and ceased to exist by 1947. It later provided a cadre of experienced personnel to the Women`s Royal Australian Army Corps when it was established in 1951.

Location

Address:Oxford Street, Victoria Barracks, Paddington, 2021
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.884444
Long: 151.223333
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Approx. Event Start Date:1941
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945
Approx. Event End Date:1947
Link:http://www.warmemorialsregister.nsw…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 27th October, 2001
Source: SKP, NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design