www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Alex Campbell ParkPrint Page Print this page

05-August-2017
05-August-2017

Photographs supplied by John Huth

Alex Campbell Park was opened to commemorate the use of land near the park as an airfield, which was part of the "Brisbane Line of Defence" in World War Two.

It was named after Alex Campbell who was a councillor for Rosalie Shire Council and a World War Two soldier.

Location

Address:Jondaryan - Nungil Road, Brymaroo, 4403
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.228202
Long: 151.62733
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 28th February, 1987
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Rosalie Shire Council
The Alex Campbell Park was officially opened by Councillor Alick Williams, Chairman of the Rosalie Shire Council, on the 28th February 1987, and commemorates the use of land near this park as an airfield, part of the "Brisbane Line of Defence" during the Second World War.

The airfield, known as "Heavy Bombardment Field No. 1", comprised some 862 acres and was established in 1943.  

Number 99 Squadron R.A.A.F., with Liberator bombers and U.S.A.A.F.`s Number 15 Squadron, operated from this airfield.

This project is jointly financed by the Brymaroo community, the Rosalie Shire Council and the Australian Bicentennial Authoriy.  The assistance of personnel from the Oakey Army Aviation Base in dismantling and reassembling the aircraft is gratefully acknowledged.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design