www.monumentaustralia.org.au

458 SquadronPrint Page Print this page

14-March-2017
14-March-2017
Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A wooden plaque commemorates 458 Squadron which served in World War Two.

No. 458 Squadron was formed at Williamtown, New South Wales, on 8 July 1941 as an Article XV squadron under the terms of the Empire Air Training Scheme. Consisting of only ground staff, the squadron departed for the United Kingdom in August to join other personnel assembled at RAF Holme-on-Spalding Moor, where the squadron was officially established as No. 458 (Bomber) Squadron on 25 August 1941.From the outset, the squadron drew personnel from many different countries, with many coming from Britain, Canada and New Zealand, as well as Australia.

Location

Address:163 Carinish Road, Clayton RSL, Clayton, 3138
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.925473
Long: 145.122402
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2

Dedication

Front Inscription
             458
       SQUADRON

"WE FIND AND DESTROY"

FORMED WILLIAMTOWN NSW 10-7-1941
POSTED SPALDING ON MOOR ENGLAND 1-9-1941
VICTORIANS WHO SERVED IN 458 - 120 AIRMEN
TOTAL ALLIED AIRMEN - 1703
KILLED IN  ACTION - 150 AIRMEN
SQUADRON DISBANDED GIBRALTAR 9-6-1945

F/O RUPERT L.R. PEARCE- 18175 - R.A.A.F.
SECRETARY VICTORIAN FLIGHT
Donated To Clayton RSL
By LAC Roy Pearce 126120

RAAF-458-Squadron




 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design