Christ Church AnglicanPrint Page Print this page

Christ Church Anglican was dedicated as a war memorial church on the 15th October 1921.

War delayed the construction of the new church whose plans were approved in 1917. The foundation stone was set on the 8th May 1920 by Brigadier General H. E. Elliott, who at the ceremony said that “the square mile in this portion of North Essendon had given a greater number of men, who paid the supreme sacrifice, than any other square mile in the British Dominions”. The Great War of 1914-1918 saw 120 Parishioners service in the forces, of which 42 were killed in action. Permission was granted by the Diocese of Melbourne for the new church to be a war memorial church.

A Memorial Altar for a Lady Chapel was presented in 1938. As from May 1943, the Lady Chapel was also known as “The Chapel of Honour” to remember those serving in the armed forces and those who had died whilst on active service.



Address:Mount Alexander Road & Marco Polo Street, Essendon, 3340
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.747018
Long: 144.912371
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:D. R. Dossetor (Architect)
Monument Manufacturer:C. W. Ward (Builder)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 15th October, 1921
Front Inscription

Foundation Stone :

A. M. D. G.

This stone is placed here by Senator Brigadier-General H. E. Elliott C.B.,C.M.G.,D.S.O., D.C.M.,B.A.,LLM.,

8th May 1920,

To commemorate the sacrifices in the Great War for righteousness, 1914 - 1919.

The Most Rev Henry Lowther Clarke D.D., D.C.L., Archbishop of Melbourne
 Rev., Edward Schweiger, Th.L., Vicar

D. R. Dossetor, Architect          C. W. Ward, Builder




Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au