St Patrick`s Memorial TowerPrint Page Print this page

St Patrick`s Church : 11-November-2014
St Patrick`s Church : 11-November-2014

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers

The tower commemorates the Catholics of the parish who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The extensions were consecrated on the 4th December 1921.

In 1920 and 1921 the two western towers were added to the church under direction of Monsignor Peter Meagher. One of the towers is a memorial to World War One. The foundation stone was laid by the Mayor of Singleton on the 20th March 1920. 

An important event in the life of the Catholic community of Singleton was fulfilled on Sunday, when the extensions and improvements to St. Patrick's Church were solemnly consecrated by the Bishop of Maitland (the Right Rev. Dr. Dwyer).

The necessity for more accommodation had been felt for several years and at last it was deemed imperative to either erect a new church or make additions to the old edifice. A meeting of parishioners was held on Sunday, June 8, 1919, when it was decided to make extensions to the church. Plans were drawn by Mr.T. W. Silk, architect, and tenders were called for the work. The local contractors, Messrs. L. Hinde and, A. Bruderlin, were the successful tenderers and the work was commenced about December 1919. The foundation-stone was laid on March 20, 1920, by the Bishop of Maitland. Owing to unavoidable delays the work has just been completed but it has been faithfully performed, and in its new form the church takes a prominent place in local architecture.

The extension adds another 30 feet to the church, and is flanked by two massive towers, one of which is in commemoration of the centenary of the discovery of Patrick Plains on March 17, 1820, and the other in memory of the Catholic men of the parish killed at the war.
The Maitland Weekly Mercury (NSW), 10 December 1921.



Address:Queen Street, St Patrick`s Church, Singleton, 2330
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.559335
Long: 151.178683
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:T. W. Silk (Architect)
Monument Manufacturer:Hinde & Brundelin (Builders)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 21st March, 1920
Front Inscription

Plaque :

This stone was laid by D. McDougall. Esq Mayor on the 21st day of March 1920

In memory of the Catholic men of this Parish who fell in the Great War

1914 - 1918


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au