St Andrew`s LychgatePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The lychgate commemorates those of the Parish of Lutwyche who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.

It was designed in 1924 by Francis Joseph Mayer, and was restored in 2009 by the generous gift of Ralph and Dianne Mayer in memory of Dianne’s brother, John Richard James and rededicated 28th June 2009.

The Lychgate was dedicated by Dr Sharp, Archbishop of Brisbane, on the 6th July 1924 in memory of members of the parish (48 in all) who had fallen in World War One. The Archbishop remarked that the entrance to many churches especially in England had been a Lychgate. When the body was brought to a church for burial, it lay for a little while beneath the shelter of the lychgate roof while the opening part of the burial service was said. It was a temporary resting place for the tired bodies before they were put in their final resting place. The bodies of the beloved dead of whom the lychgate commemorated, lay in the fields of Gallipoli, Flanders and France. By the power of imagination they would be able to associate the Lychgate with the resting places of their dear dead.
The Brisbane Courier, 7th July 1924.




Address:673 Lutwyche Road, St Andrew`s Anglican Church, Lutwyche, 4030
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.416717
Long: 153.036656
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Gate
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:Francis Joseph Mayer


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 6th July, 1924
Right Side Inscription

To the glory of God

And in honour of those of the Parish of Lutwyche who gave up their lives for the Empire in the Great War

1914 - 1918

[ Names ]


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au