St Andrew`s War Memorial Carillon TowerPrint Page Print this page

22-February-2018 (John Huth)
22-February-2018 (John Huth)

Photographs supplied by Fred Brunings / John Huth

The carillon tower commemorates the members of St Andrew's community who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.  A World War One Honour Board is located in the Tower entry and later memorials have been added.

Prominent Brisbane architect Lange L. Powell designed St Andrew's Presbyterian Church. The Queensland Moderator of the Presbyterian Church set the foundation Stone during St Andrew's golden jubilee celebrations on 24 October 1931. Powell supervised the construction of the church, which was undertaken by building contractor CJ Vandenberg. The Church was opened and dedicated on 3 September 1932. The total cost was reported as more than £12, 000.

The Tower contains a 'Peal of Bells', the largest of which (the tenor bell) bears the symbol of burning bush. The tower bells were manufactured in Maryborough, England, and were donated by Miss Amy Ethel Maud Peirson in memory of deceased members of her family. At the time of its construction St Andrew's reputedly was the first Presbyterian Church in Australia, and one of only seven Presbyterian Churches in the world, to have a carillon.

The dedication of the carillon bells took place on the 17th December 1932. The ceremony was performed by the Reverend J.A.Hunter M.A., B.D. immediate ex-Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in the absence of the Moderator who was ill. The eleven bells are said to be the best in Queensland.
Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton), 17th December 1932

Note : This church was originally a Presbyterian Church, but it is now a Seventh Day Adventist Church. The Church is still called St Andrew’s.


Address:Maryborough & Woongarra Streets, St Andrew`s Church, Bundaberg, 4670
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -24.867544
Long: 152.346678
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Designer:Lange Powell (Architect)
Monument Manufacturer:C. J. Vandenberg
Link:http:// www.derm.qld.gov.au/heritag…


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 3rd September, 1932
Source: MA,QHR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au