St John`s Church Roll of HonourPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The wooden hounr roll commemorates those connected with the church who served in World War One.

The roll containing the names of those from the church who enlisted in World War One was unveiled on the 9th December 1917.
Huon Times (Franklin), 7th December 1917.

Note: St John`s Church was deconsecrated in August 2014. Friends of St Johns Franklin Inc. is a not for profit group that was formed in 2015. The current most important aim of the group, is to negotiate with the Anglican Diocese of Tasmania - which owns the property- and work towards keeping St John's Church and cemetery in community ownership. The property was donated to the people of Franklin, by Lady Jane Franklin, and the church was built in 1864 with money raised by pioneer settlers. Many of the headstones in the cemetery date back to the mid 1800s.

Friends of St Johns Inc members organise fund raising activities to raise money which they intend to put towards the community purchase of this important icon of Franklin's community heritage.

Note: This church was on a list of Anglican Church properties for sale in 2018.

Note : the “Tasmanian War Memorials Data Base” , compiled by Fred Thornett which is located at the State Library of Tasmania, contains a comprehensive listing of the names on this honour roll.


Address:7 Church Street, St John`s Anglican Church , Franklin, 7113
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -43.084579
Long: 147.013123
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Honour Roll
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 9th December, 1917
Front Inscription

Roll of Honour

St John`s Franklin

1914   19

[ Names ]


Source: MA,TWM, SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au