Memorial ParkPrint Page Print this page

11-December-2017[Peter Williams]
11-December-2017[Peter Williams]

Photographs supplied by John Huth / Des Embrey / Peter Williams

The Memorial Park was constructed to commemorate soldiers from South Brisbane who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.

The resolution giving authority to secure the area of land opposite the South Brisbane Town Hall passed at a special meeting of the South Brisbane City Council on the 20th May 1921. It was also proposed that the park be divided into 1000 squares and that squares be sold for about 60 shillings for which a certificate be issued and all money raised would go to beautifying the park in memory of the South Brisbane members of the A.I.F. in the Great War. The park was officially opened and dedicated by the Governor-General, Lord Forster on the 6th August 1923. Part of the official opening was a tree planting by Lord and Lady Forster and the Mayor and Mayoress.
The Brisbane Courier, 24th May 1921, 6th August 1923.

Note: In March 2017, the plinth at the bottom of the stairway to the park was demolished.  The Naval Association approached the park authority requesting permission to place a statue atop the plinth and permission was granted. Inspections revealed that the plinth had undergone serious failure over the years and the interior was basically rubble. The decision was made to demolish the plinth and replace it with an exact replica. A bronze statue of a sailor is atop the new plinth and it is the only dedicated Naval Memorial in Queensland. The restoration work was quite involved and retired tradesmen were called in to insure a faithful replica was put in place. The works were completed in May 2017.



Address:Stanley & Sidon Street, South Brisbane, 4101
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.482255
Long: 153.025178
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 6th August, 1923
Front Inscription

Memorial Park


Left Side Inscription
Right Side Inscription
Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au