ANZAC Memorial Methodist ChurchPrint Page Print this page

27-October-2017 (John Huth)
27-October-2017 (John Huth)

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / John Huth

The ANZAC Memorial Methodist Church was erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. The foundation stone was laid in 1916 and the church was opened on the 1st September 1917. 

The Church is now known as Indooroopilly Uniting Church. 

His Excellency Sir Hamilton Goold-Adams, attended by Captain Cousens, A.D.C., laid the foundation stone for the ANZAC Methodist Memorial Church at Indooroopilly. It was an occasion of widespread interest to the residents of this suburb, and a large number of spectators and friends assembled. 
Queensland Figaro (Brisbane), 6 May 1916.

A large gathering assembled at Indooroopilly on Saturday afternoon, the occasion being the opening of the new Methodist Church, erected as a memorial to fallen Anzacs. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Youngman, D.D., and amongst those present were Revs.W. Brown (president Queensland Methodist Conference), L. Bennett. M.A., B.D., (master of Queen's College), J. J. Geo, and A. Hutchison, Lieutenant-Colonel G. A. Ferguson, D.S.O., V.D., and many other well-known residents.  Rev. Dr. Youngman warmly congratulated those who were responsible for the erection of the church upon their great success. It was the third Methodist Church erected in the Indooroopilly district, and each successive building had shown a distinct advance. Whatever institutions might be shaken by the war the Methodist Church would stand firm in the good work it was doing. Its teaching was evangelical, but essentially Protestant, and its objects to promote righteousness and prosperity.

The building was crowded to its utmost capacity during the dedicatory service, conducted by Rev. W. Brown, who delivered an impressive and appropriate address. The choir was conducted by Mr. Seymour, Miss Bradley officiating at the organ. Two memorial windows were afterwards unveiled by Lieutenant-Colonel Ferguson presented by Mr. John Bradley, in memory of his nephew, Wm.J. Bradley, the first Indooroopily resident to enlist and who fell at the Gallipoli landings and the other to memory of J. H. Neville, who fell at Pozieres on July 16, 1916. The ladies of the circuit afterwards served refreshments in the Sunday school room. A meeting was held at night, Mr. E. H. Macartney. M.L.A., presiding when Lieutenant E.M. Little unveiled an honor board containing the names of 24 members who had enlisted. 

Daily Standard (Brisbane), 3 September 1917.



Address:80 Station Road, Indooroopilly Uniting Church, Indooroopilly, 4068
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.501567
Long: 152.971777
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 29th April, 1916
Front Inscription

This foundation stone of the ANZAC Memorial Church was laid on the 29th April 1916, by His Excellency Sir Hamilton Goold-Adams G.C.M.G., C.B.

Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au