Brisbane Grammar School War Memorial LibraryPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The library was built by past and present students of the school to commemorate the 1023 former students who enlisted from the school and the 172 who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.

A crystal cabinet contains four volumes of leather-bound books, (the Golden Books) with one page devoted to each of the 1023 former pupils, two staff members and one trustee of Brisbane Grammar School who enlisted in World War One. One volume at a time is displayed in a glass case in the Memorial Library, with the pages turned daily. The Library contains many important and commemorative stained glass windows, to past pupils who died during war.

The granite foundation stone was laid on Anzac Day 1923 by the Governor of Queensland Sir Matthew Nathan. The library was officially opened and dedicated on the 11th November 1924 by the Governor, Sir Matthew Nathan who turned a golden key in the lock to open the building.  A hush fell over the crowd as the door swung to and disclosed the exquisite stained glass windows and the crystal cabinet containing the Golden Books.
The Northern Miner (Charters Towers), 27th April 1923,
The Queenslander (Brisbane) 22nd November 1924.


Address:24 Gregory Terrace, Brisbane Grammar School, Spring Hill , 4000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.459866
Long: 153.018498
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 11th November, 1924
Front Inscription

Plaque :

This stone was laid on ANZAC Day 1923 by His Excellency the Rt. Hon. Sir Matthew Nathan G. C. M. G. Governor of Queensland

Source: SKP ,QWMR, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au