Holy Trinity War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The East Window in the church commemorates the men of the Holy Trinity Anglican Parish who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The memorial takes the form of a triptych, a set of three windows. 

Following the end of World War One, in which 101 parishioners gave their lives, new windows were installed as a commemoration in 1922. They were designed in contemporary style by Lucien Dechaineux, principal of the Hobart Technical College, and made by Ashwin & Co, Sydney.

In the lower section of the left-side window, Diggers (Australian soldiers) are shown in sand-bagged trenches, with artillery shells exploding in the near distance. The wounded receiving care from the medical corps are shown in the lower section of the central window. The lower section of the right-side window shows a family receiving sad news about a loved one who has made the ultimate sacrifice during the war. A traditional scene of Christ's Crucifixion, which is the ultimate sacrifice for humanity according to Christian belief, is shown in the central section of the centre window. The Ascension of Christ to heaven is shown in the upper sections of the centre window. Above this is seen the Dove of Peace radiating golden rays of hope, which poignantly represents the "Peace of God which passes all understanding".

The new East window in the Hobart Holy Trinity Church, which is the memorial of the parishioners to the hundred of their men who made the supreme sacrifice in the late war, was unveiled by the Bishop of Tasmania yesterday. It takes the form of a triptych, and depicts trench warfare with the glare of bursting shells in the distance; doctors and stretcher bearers engaged in their work of mercy; and a home scene after the news of sacrifice had been received. Depiction of the struggles of humanity crowned by the Dove of Peace makes the work both original and beautiful.
Examiner (Launceston, Tas.), 20 February 1922. 

Note: The Anglican Church in Tasmania passed ownership of the Holy Trinity Church to the Greek Orthodox Church in October 2007.


Address:50 Warwick Street, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Hobart, 7000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.876601
Long: 147.32109
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:Lucien Deshaineux
Monument Manufacturer:Ashwin & Company (Sydney, NSW)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 19th February, 1922
Front Inscription

[ Across All Windows ]

To the greater glory of God and in memory of the men of this Parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1919

Source: MA,SKP,TWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au