Tamar Rowing Club Honour RollPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The wooden honour roll commemorates members of the Tamar Rowing Club who served in World War One.

A striking and eloquent testimony to the patriotism of oarsmen is the very handsome honour board which, presented by Mr. George Cragg, one of the vice-presidents, was unveiled at the Tamar Rowing Club's boathouse last night. It was an interesting little ceremony in which many members and friends joined, and the magnificent record of 170 names the receding flags disclosed engendered a feeling of pride in the achievements of this fine old sporting institution.

There were on that roll the names of 170 members of the Tamar Rowing Club who had enlisted; voluntarily offered their services to the Empire, prepared to make the great sacrifice if necessary. Seventeen had been killed and fourteen wounded, and the rest were still either in the firing line or preparing to take their turn.
Examiner (Launceston), 21st March 1917.

Note: The “Tasmanian War Memorials Data Base”, compiled by Fred Thornett which is located at the State Library of Tasmania, contains a comprehensive listing of the names on this honour roll.


Address:14 West Tamar Road , Tamar Rowing Club, Trevallyn , 7250
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.437801
Long: 147.127268
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Honour Roll
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 20th March, 1917
Front Inscription

For King & Empire

Tamar Rowing Club.

"We have braved and battled and bled"

[ Names ]

Presented by the Vice President Geo. Cragg  Esq. 


Source: MA,SKP,TWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au