Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

30-December-2020 (Stephen Warren)
30-December-2020 (Stephen Warren)

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson / Stephen Warren

The hall commemorates those who served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. 

By 1941, the hall would be the home base of the Plympton RSL and by the end of the Second World War the hall was known as the Soldiers Memorial Hall. In 2016 the exterior of the RSL was updated with a mural by Jemahl Casper.

Progress Hall is the name of building to be erected at Marion road, Plympton Park, by the South Plympton Progressive Society. This afternoon the foundation stone was laid by Mr. A. J. Mesecke, who is president of the society.  Formed on May 18, 1921, when 14 residents met at the home of Mr. H. Holley, William street, Vermont, first officers of the society were Mr. Mesceke (president), Messrs. A. Howcroft (vice president), R. E. Deere (secretary), and E. J. Mesecke (treasurer).

In 1925 members decided that the society should build a hall of its own. Various means were adopted for raising funds, chiefly by bazaars, the first of which realised £106. The second, yielded £128, and another in November last £114. As a result a block of land was purchased. On this the new hall is being built. Mr. F. Wood, who is a member of the society, is contractor. It is expected that the hall will be ready for use, at the end of November. 
News (Adelaide, SA), 8 September 1928.


Address:464 Marion Road, Plympton Glenelg RSL, South Plympton, 5038
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.970381
Long: 138.555103
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Front Inscription

Memorial Hall   A. D. 1928 

Source: MA,RVWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au