Meribah Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Glen Parson

The hall commemorates those who served in World War One. The foundation stone of the hall was laid on the 12th November 1927. The hall was completely destroyed by fire in 1947 and the Institute Hall was reopened in 1950.

The Meribah Soldiers' Memorial Institute Hall was opened before a moderate crowd of people by Mr. E. O. Taplin, manager of the Bank of Adelaide at Paruna.  In raising money to build the hall £600 had been obtained from bags of wheat donated by the farmers.
Murray Pioneer and Australian River Record (Renmark)
2nd March 1928.

A fire which broke out this morning at about 2.30 a.m. and spread quickly completely demolished the Meribah Memorial Hall. A large number of volunteers were quickly on the scene, but the fire had gained a hold rapidly and the residents were forced to see the hall they had built by their own efforts and which was reputed to have had one of the best dance floors in the district, razed to the ground. The only portion saved was the supper room, in which a meeting had been held last night. The building is estimated to have been worth £1,500, but much of the property lost such as books is practically irreplaceable.
Murray Pioneer (Renmark, SA ), 27 February 1947.


Address:Railway Terrace, Meribah, 5333
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.705204
Long: 140.852444
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 17th February, 1928
Front Inscription

Meribah Memorial Hall


Source: SKP, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au