www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Memorial Avenue of Gum TreesPrint Page Print this page

18-December-2020
18-December-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The trees was planted to commemorate those who died in service or killed in action in World War One. A War Memorial Pavilion financed by public subscription was also erected in the park.

The avenue originally extended from Davenport Terrace to the War Memorial Pavilion in the centre of Hazelwood Park.
In 1997 a plaque was placed in the park by the Burnside Historical Society detailing the planting of the trees and the pavilion. The pavilion is no longer standing and originally stood on the site of the swimming centre.

On August 18, 1919, at a meeting held in St. David's Hall, Burnside, it was decided amidst considerable enthusiasm, to erect in Hazelwood Park, Burnside, a memorial to fallen soldiers from Burnside and Beaumont Wards. Our objective is to erect in Hazelwood Park amongst the fine old gum trees, a rest house where visitors to the park can take their ease and in tablets in the walls will be engraven the names of those ''who died that we may live." We also propose to plant a grove of oak trees for the benefit of our grandchildren's children. The site for the rest house has been selected, and the design provisionally approved.
The Mail (Adelaide), 20th March 1920.

On 17th June 1922, the Burnside and Beaumont Committee held a tree-planting ceremony and a tree was planted by a relative or a member of the committee in memory of each of the fallen soldiers from Burnside and Beaumont Wards. The Chairman (Hon. H.W.Harvey) also planted a tree in memory of the late Sir Ross Smith.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 21 June 1922.

 

 

 

Location

Address:Greenhill Road & Hawthorn Crescent, Hazelwood Park, Hazelwood Park, 5066
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.936147
Long: 138.656397
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Avenue of Honour
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Link:http://www.vwma.org.au/

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th June, 1922
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Memorial Avenue of Gum Trees

This avenue of Sugar Gums (Eucalyptus cladocalyx) was planted in about 1921 as a memorial to the servicemen of the Burnside and Beaumont Wards sacrificed their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1918.

The avenue originally extended from Davenport Terrace to the War Memorial Pavilion in the centre of Hazelwood Park

Hazelwood Park War Memorial Pavilion

The pavilion depicted was built by public subscription in 1921 as a memorial to the fallen soldiers from the Burnside and Beaumont Wards who served in the Great War 1914 - 1918.

The pavilion was located to the south where the Swimming Centre is now situated.

Erected by the Burnside Historical Society and the City of Burnside
November 1997

 

Source: RVWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design