Gumeracha District Soldiers` Memorial HospitalPrint Page Print this page

26-October-2020 (Stephen Warren)
26-October-2020 (Stephen Warren)

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren / Lynne Lang
The hospital commemorates those from the district who served in World War One. The foundation stone was laid on the 25th October 1921 and the hospital was opened on the 22nd June 1922 with the official opening ceremony held on the 22nd July 1922. 

Nestling among the hills, on a site overlooking the town, the Soldiers' Memorial Hospital at Gumeracha will long serve to keep green the memory of the men of the district who fought for King and country in the great war. Saturday, 22 July 1922 was a red-letter day for the pretty little hills township, residents gathering in large numbers to witness the opening ceremony in connection with the institution, which was performed by Lady Verco.

It is estimated that the total cost, when the building is completed, will be in the vicinity of £2,700, of which £2,500 has been contributed in cash and kind— a fine tribute to the generosity of residents. The foundation stone was laid by Lady Weigall on October 25, 1921, and the building was completed a few weeks ago by the contractor (Mr. J. Woolard), who has spared no pains to make it up-to-date in every particular. It had been intended to unveil a memorial tablet, but the chairman announced that the ceremony had, through unforeseen circumstances, to be, postponed to a later date.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 29 July 1922.


Address:Albert Street, Gumeracha, 5233
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.825936
Long: 138.882881
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Monument Manufacturer:Mr. J. Woolard (contractor)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 25th October, 1921
Front Inscription

Gumeracha Soldiers Memorial Hospital

This stone was laid by His Excellency the Governor Sir Archibald Weigall,

25th Oct. 1921

Plaque :

Gumeracha District Soldiers` Memorial Hospital

The hospital was built 1921 - 22 as a permanent memorial to the WWI soldiers of the District, and has always enjoyed considerable community support.
It opened on 22nd June, 1922, with 8 beds, and has since undergone several expansions :
1938 - addition of 4 beds ;
1954 - construction of nurses` quarters ;
1966 - addition of 3 beds, theatre, labour ward and service areas ;
1970 - construction of new nurses` quarters, and establishment of an 8-bed geriatric wing ;
1975 - addition of 7 beds and general upgrade ;
1981 - construction of Adelaide Hill`s first Day Care Centre.

In 1981 it became the first public hospital to receive a Certificate of Accreditation by the Australian Council of Hospital Standards.

Glenview Homes, a 10-bed aged care facility was built at the western end of the hospital in 1989; later expanded over 2 stages to 25 beds.

Source: RVWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au