Tarwin Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

Tarwin Lower Memorial Hall Mechanics Institute : 10-April-2013
Tarwin Lower Memorial Hall Mechanics Institute : 10-April-2013

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Neil Follett

The Mechanics Institute was renamed the Tarwin Memorial Hall to commemorate those from the district who served in World War One. 

The Tarwin Lower Mechanics' Institute Library and Hall was built in 1890 at a cost of £235, and was opened on 7 March of that year by F.C. Mason MLA. The cost of the land was £6/12/6 and the first trustees were Alfred Brown, Thomas Lees and Robert Fisher. The hall was the first public building erected in the township and was also used as a school and church. It is now believed to be the oldest extant building, public or otherwise, in Tarwin Lower.

Between 1926 and 1933 the Hall was extended with financial assistance from George Black and other public donations, when it was officially renamed as the Tarwin Lower Memorial Hall in memory of local people who served in the First World War. The 11 August 1933 edition of the "Great Southern Star" reported that the official opening of the additions to the Tarwin Lower Hall took place on 1 September 1933.


Address:River Drive, Tarwin Lower, 3956
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.699104
Long: 145.867162
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict


Front Inscription

Memorial Hall Mechanics Institute

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au