Shire of Omeo Honour RollPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland / Chris McLaughlin

Two marble honour rolls commemorate those from the Shire who served in World War One. They were unveiled at the opening of the Memorial Hall in 1927. 

An impressive scene was witnessed at Omeo on Sunday afternoon, when the State Governor, Lord Somers, in the presence of a large attendance, officially opened Omeo soldiers' memorial hall and unveiled memorial tablets. Returned soldiers in mufti, under the command of Lieutenant McMillan, formed a guard of honor. They were supported by the first Omeo troop of boy scouts under assistant Scout Master S. T. Ball, and Omeo girl guides under Captain Pearson. Accompanying the party, were Mr. Lind, M.L.A.; Sir J. Barrett, president of the historic memorials committee; Mr. F. Tate, Director of Education; Mr. H. O. Allen, under secretary for lands; Mr. A. S. Kenyan, engineer for water supply; Mr. C. Daley, secretary, of the historic memorial committee. Mr. H. Hansford, Lands department; Mr.C.R. Long, Education department.

The Governor was met by the president of the shire, Cr. W. J. Soutter, and councillors and leading townsmen in the municipal chambers before entering the hall. Mr.H. G. Marsden, chairman of the hall trustees, presided. The memorial tablets contain the names of 225 district soldiers who fought in the war, 49 paying the supreme sacrifice. Lord Somers stressed the need for Empire unity, and expressed the hope that the means and spirit of comradeship existing during the  war would be carried into the fields of peace. Wherever their lost ones were lying in France, Palestine or Egypt there would be a little bit of Australia to remain Australian for all time.
Age (Melbourne), 5 April 1927.


Address:179 Day Avenue (Great Alpine Road), Omeo Memorial Hall, Omeo, 3898
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.100731
Long: 147.59161
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Honour Roll
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 3rd April, 1927
Front Inscription

Shire of Omeo

[ Names ]

AIF         AIF

1914 - 1919

Left Side Inscription

Shire of Omeo Honour Roll 

[ Names ]

AIF  1914 – 1919  AIF


Right Side Inscription

Shire of Omeo Honour Roll  

[ Names ]

AIF  1914 – 1919  AIF

Source: MA, VWHI
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au