Hawthorn Christ Church Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

Hawthorn Christ Church Memorial Hall
Hawthorn Christ Church Memorial Hall

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

The hall commemorates the parishioners who served in World War One. The foundation stone for the hall was laid on the 24th May 1923 and the hall was officially opened on the 24th May 1924. 

Preliminary work has been started in connection with the erection of a new modern hall on the church ground in commemoration of the parishioners who gave up their lives in the war. The foundation stone will be laid by Sir William McPherson next Saturday. Over £1400 has been already subscribed towards the cost, and it is estimated that the building will cost altogether £4000 and a sum of £2600 is still required, so that the lall mnv be opened free of debt. The vicar, Rev. Stanley Hollow, and the church committee are working energetically towards this end.
Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), 19 November 1923.

A memorial hall has been erected by the parishioners of Christ Church, Hawthorn and will be formally dedicated by Archbishop Hindley and opened by Mr. R. B. McComas tomorrow afternoon. It consists of a main hall capable of holding 500 people, surrounded by seven rooms to be used as class-rooms. The purpose of the structure is threefold. It is the parishioners' tribute to the men of the parish who served and to those who fell; it will be used as a Sunday school and during the week it will be the centre of the social activities of the church. The cost of the building with furnishings was £5000. 
The Argus (Melbourne), 23 May 1924. 


Address:Church & Denham Streets , Christ Church, Hawthorn, 3122
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.818962
Long: 145.018238
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:Carleton & Carleton
Monument Manufacturer:H. S. Bolger


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 24th November, 1923
Front Inscription

To the glory of God

And to commemorate the services rendered to King and Country by the men from this Parish in the Great War of 1914 - 1919.

This stone was laid on 24th November 1923 by the Hon Sir William M. McPherson K.B.E.., M.L.A.,

Vicar : Rev. H. Stanley Hollow, M.A.

Architects :                       Contractor : 
Carleton and Carleton      H.S. Bolger

Source: MA,VMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au