St Thomas` Anglican Church Honour RollPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The honour roll commemorates those from the church who served in World War One.

On Sunday last the centenary of the holding of the first service in St. Thomas' Church of England, Port Macquarie, was celebrated, the preacher at the morning service being His Lordship Bishop Ashton, assisted by Archdeacon Forster, Administrator of the Diocese of Armidale, Rev. Harris Walker, of South-West Rocks, and the Rev. Canon L. E. J. Gray, the Vicar of the parish. At the evening service Archdeacon Forster was the preacher from the text " Other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours."— St. John 4, 38v. The first service in the newly-completed church was held on 28th February, 1828, the Rev. John Cross being the first chaplain, which office he held for thirty years. It was pleasing to note that descendants of this minister were present at the services that day. It was found necessary to mark the occasion at the time mentioned in place of the actual date. A Union Jack, lent by Mrs. J. H. Hill, fluttered in the breeze from the top of the church tower, and a dressing of flags, lent by the Pilot (Captain C. A. Macalister) extended from the top of the tower outwards, forming the sides of triangles on both sides.

Inside the edifice the tablet to the first incumbent was wreathed with a floral memorial, whilst two flags covered the newly-erected honor roll bearing the names of the men of the parish who had played their part nobly in the Great War. This tablet is a Gothic-shaped white marble panel on black marble background, 5ft. long by 2 feet 9 inches wide. On the top is inscribed "In honor of the men of St. Thomas', who served in the Great War, 1914-1918, for God, King, and Country." Then follow the names : — C. Atkins, J. Atkins, Jno. Atkins, D. M. Baird, J. R. Baird, F. M. Bransdon, A .A. Blair, J. G. Budge, A. Brian, A. J. Carter, F. W. Cuttriss + , R. Campbell, D. G. Cumming, A. E. Elford, W. J. Edwards, G. Gaul, E. Herring, C. B. Jenkins, F. G. Judd, A. Kingsford, C. Kingsford, R. T. Kean, A. J. H. Lawrence, H. Lawrence, O. H. Mclntyre, A. L. Nelson + , L. R. Pountney + , R. K. Pountney, W. H. Pead, G. Pead, O. S. M. Pead, A. O. G. Reid, H. R. T. Stimpson, J. H. Staples, W. J. St. Ledger, H. St. John, M. M. M. Spence, H. G. Spence, N. H. Spence, T. Strutt, H. Strutt, C. M. Tonkins, T. Strutt, H. Strutt, C. M. Tonkins, A. Wilkins, E. E. Williams. "Greater love hath no man than this that he lay down his life for his friends." This is the inscription upon the bottom of the tablet. On entering the church from the vestry, the choir and clergy marched to the honor roll, which was unveiled by Mesdames A. E. Pountney and W. Cuttriss, and dedicated by the Bishop.
Port Macquarie News and Hastings River Advocate (NSW),
21 April 1928.


Address:Hay Street , St Thomas` Anglican Church, Port Macquarie, 2444
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.432045
Long: 152.909869
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Honour Roll
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 15th April, 1928
Front Inscription

In honour of the men of St Thomas` who served in the Great War 1914 - 1918

For God, King, for Country 

[ Names ]

"Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends"


Source: MA,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au