Paddington War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

The Paddington War Memorial commemorates those from the district who served in World War One. The memorial was moved to its present postion in 1940. 

On Sunday, the Governor, Sir Walter Davidson, K.C.M.G., unveiled a beautiful memorial to the soldiers who went from Paddington and fell in action or died of wounds during the Great War. The monument is in the form of a column of polished trachyte. It is on a massive block of trachyte, on the four sides of which the names of the men who fell are inscribed. The base is erected on a plinth, to which there are three steps. The column is surmounted by a doric capital and an acorn, the whole rising to a height of thirty feet. The column and capital weigh nearly two tons. The land, which is at the corner of Oxford and Newcombe Streets, was given by the trustees of our Church to the municipality for the purpose. The memorial is surrounded by an ornamental stone wall, through which there is a beautiful gate to give access to the church in lieu of a gate to be closed. The unveiling ceremony was of a naval and military character. Several scout patrols also took part.

Sir Walter Davidson and Dame Margaret were received by the Mayor, Ald. Purcell, the Town Clerk, Mr. Wicks, the Aldermen and the trustees of the memorial, viz., Alderman Crane, Mr. Wicks, Alderman Purcell, the members for the district, Mr. Birt, M.L.A., and Mr. Jackson, M.L.A., and the local clergy, Rev. S. G. Fielding (Church of England), Rev. Grant Forsyth, (Presbyterian), Rev. W. Cape (Presbyterian), Revs. Poole and Fielding, Junr. (Church of England), and Rev. Jas. Green, Representatives attended for the Congregational Church and Church of Christ. The hymns were accompanied by the bands of the Naval Brigade and the 1st Battalion Infantry. The sailors marched from Queen Street and the soldiers from the Victoria Barracks. The senior chaplain, Rev. James Green, C.M.G., conducted the service. It was the first time since the war he had conducted church parade in which his old battalion, the 1st, took a leading part since the war. 

The large body of cadets, with a number of non-coms of the old 1st Battalion, were under the charge of Major McDonald, ex A.I.F. The Governor inspected the troops, and during the service delivered an eloquent address. He said : "It was right that the memorial should be in the main highway, and the site chosen was obviously the best, indeed, the only one suitable. It was generous of the trustees to give the site, and all should hold it in reverence."  He charged the Paddington Municipal Council and the people to maintain it proudly and reverently so that it might be a fitting memorial of the men who gave their lives for freedom. It would ever teach the lesson of self sacrifice and heroism to the young people of Paddington.  All the clergy took part in the service, at the close of which the Mayor expressed thanks to the Governor and Dame Margaret for attendance.

From the Methodist standpoint, whilst we have surrendered a valuable piece of land, we have the satisfaction, of doing something to lift Paddington above the sordid and commonplace and associate our church with the work of preserving the memory of the men. Sunday, the 19th, also marked the completion of the beautiful Honour Roll within the church, and there was a special service therewith. 
Methodist (Sydney), 2 December, 1922. 

The Paddington war memorial to local men who served in the last war is being removed from the corner of Oxford Street and Newcombe Street to the Barrack Reserve near the Paddington Town Hall. The memorial was erected on part of the Methodist Church property, and the column has been removed in anticipation of the widening of Oxford Street. 
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 21 February 1940.


Address:Oxford Street, Outside Victoria Barracks, Paddington, 2021
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.884906
Long: 151.224836
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 19th November, 1922
Front Inscription

For King and Country.

In Honor Of The Paddington Men Who
Fought And In Loving Memory Of Those
Who Fell During The Great War
Erected By The Citizens Of Paddington


Left Side Inscription
Their Duty Done
Right Side Inscription
Greater Love Hath No Man
Source: NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au