St David`s Uniting Church Memorial OrganPrint Page Print this page

The organ was installed in memory of those from St David`s Presbyterian Church who served in World War One.

In 1917 the first moves were made to erect a suitable instrument as a memorial to those of the parish who had died in service or been killed in action in World War One. 

An agreement with the Adelaide organ-builder J. E. Dodd was reached in 1917 and a two-manual organ was duly installed in 1920. The organ itself was originally placed in the chancel at the east end of the church, between tile doors leading to the vestry. As part of changes to the chancel planned by Dr Cumming Thorn in 1964, it was moved to the opposite end of the church by the Melbourne organ builders, George Fineharn and Sons Pty Ltd.

The names of seventy-seven men who had served in World War One had been inscribed on panels of the organ case and these were no longer accessible in the new location. An entirely new honour board made by Mr Bill Buchanan, the Session Clerk, was installed in the west porch and dedicated in 1969.

Note: St David`s Uniting Church was formerly the Presbyterian Church.


Address:51 - 53 Dalhousie Street, St Davids Uniting Church, Haberfield, 2045
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.882231
Long: 151.137553
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Organ
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Manufacturer:Josiah Eustace Dodd (Adelaide, SA)


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1920
Source: HNSW
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au