www.monumentaustralia.org.au

6th Australian Light Horse TreePrint Page Print this page

The tree commemorates those who served in the 6th Australian Light Horse Regiment New South Wales Mounted Rifles since 1888 and during the Boer War and World War One. The tree is planted in memory of all those who have served with the 6th Australian Light Horse Regiment in peace and war. 

The regiment was formed at the Victoria Barracks , Sydney on 17 September 1888, as the New South Wales Mounted Infantry. The regiment was renamed on 1 August 1893, as the New South Wales Mounted Rifles.This retitling was to clearly show that their role was that of mounted rifles not mounted infantry

A company of the regiment served in the Second Boer War in 1899, before they were amalgamated into the 1st New South Wales Mounted Rifles, as "A" Squadron. This regiment consisted eventually of five squadrons. In 1901, two more regiments of NSW Mounted Rifles, the 2nd and 3rd were sent to the war. The original NSW Mounted Rifles remained in existence for the duration of the war on home service with the additional responsibility for recruiting soldiers for regiments going to South Africa. 

The 6th Light Horse Regiment was a mounted infantry regiment of the Australian Army during the First World War.  The regiment was raised in September 1914, and assigned to the 2nd Light Horse Brigage 2nd Light Horse Brigade. The regiment fought against the forces of the German Empire and the Ottoman Empire, in Egypt, at Gallipoli, on the Sinai Peninsula, and in Palestine and Jordan. After the armistice the regiment eventually returned to Australia in March 1919. For its role in the war the regiment was awarded sixteen battle honours. During the inter-war years, the regiment was re-raised as a part-time unit based in New South Wales, adopting the designation of the "New South Wales Mounted Rifles". It was later converted to a motor regiment during the early years of the Second World War before being redesignated as an armoured car regiment. Nevertheless, it was disbanded in early 1943 without having been deployed overseas. During the post war years, the regiment was re-raised as part of the Citizens Military Force, and in 1956 was converted into an infantry unit, and in 1960 was subsumed into the Royal New South Wales Regiment.

Location

Address:North & Cooper Streets, Memorial Park , Eugowra, 2806
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.425417
Long: 148.369427
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 22nd April, 1998
Front Inscription
Plaque:

THEIR SERVICE OUR HERITAGE

Men of the Light Horse - your sacrifice & deeds and
those of following generations of Australians who
fought for Australia will remain ever etched in the
history of a grateful nation.
        6th ALH Trundle Troop 1888

Defence of ANZAC       South Africa 1899 -1902
 Romani                        Sari Bair
 Gaza - Beersheba        Egypt 1915-1917
 Jordan Eselt                  Jerusalem                 
 Meggido                       Jordan Amman
 South West Pacific       Palestine 1917-18
Cape Endaldene   
This tree was dedicated and planted to the memory of all
those who served in the 6th Australian Light Horse
Regiment NSW Mounted Rifles
               in peace and war.
    This plaque was unveiled by
              Peter Andren MP
          Federal Member for Calare,
                  22nd April 1998

The Australian Veterans and Defence Services Counci

Source: SKP, NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design