Soldiers Memorial GatePrint Page Print this page

13-August-2011 (Glen Yeomans)
13-August-2011 (Glen Yeomans)

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Sandra Brown

The stone arched gateway with stone pillars inscribed with names, commemorates those who served in World War One. It was presented by Dr F. W. West in September 1922. The outer pillars honour men and women from the district who received citations for gallantry during World War One.

The gathering then moved to the main entrance to Macarthur Park from Menangle Road, where Dr. West, as President of the Camden and District's War Memorial Committee, delivered an address in which he said that his committee is greatly indebted to Mr Percy Butler, who gratuitiously designed this gateway; to Mr. G. F. Furner, who supervised its erection; and to the Camden News for publishing the names on two occasions. Also on behalf of his committee he wished  to compliment the contractor, Mr J. Kerwin on the excellent manneer in which he has carried out the work, and for his kindness in preparing the ground for the ceremony free of all cost to the committee. Dr. West then called upon Miss Macarthur Onslow to unveil the Memorial Gateway and officially open the gate.

The removal of the Union Jack revealed a handsome structure composed of local freestone obtained from Mr. John E. Moore, of Ellensville, Glenmore. The gateway consists of four huge columns of stone, two on the street alignment, measuring about 5ft. 6in. in height, and the two on which the gate is hung are a foot higher, and support the dedication lintel, weighing about two tons, on which is engraved in large black letters "Lest We Forget."  On the front of these columns appear in gold letters the names of all local returned soldiers and three returned nurses. The pleasing feature of the whole structure is the quarry face finishings conspicuous throughout. The two wings are constructed on a heavy stone basement, quarry faced, with stone bannisters and coping stone. 
Excerpt from Unveiling Soldiers` Memorials at Camden, 
Camden News (NSW), 21 September 1922.


Address:Menangle Road, Macarthur Park, Camden, 2570
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.059951
Long: 150.695706
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Gate
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:Mr Percy Butler
Monument Manufacturer:Mr. J. Kerwin


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 16th September, 1922
Front Inscription

Lest We Forget


Left Side Inscription


Sgt. Caudry. W.  M.M Ypres  31 - 7 - 18
Pvt Wasson. M.S.  M.M.  Westhock Ridge 4 - 10 - 17
Pvt. Rofe. L.  M.M.Vaire Wood  15 - 6 - 18
Sister West.  M. M.C. Greek Salonika

Right Side Inscription


Brgd. Gen. Macarthur-Onslow G.M. C.M.G.  D.S.O.  Order of the Nile Palestine
Major Hawkey. J.M. Ment In Despatches. 1 - 6 - 17  M.C. 28 - 12 - 17
Lieut. Downes.R.F.A.  M.C. Morlancourt. 28 - 7 - 18
Lieut. Stafford. A.R.V.  M.M.ANZAC Ridge 4 - 12 - 17

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au